Circle Nine by Anne Heltzel

                  
Circle Nine

Circle Nine

 
She knows only Sam, a mysterious teenage boy. He is her sole companion; her whole life. She was born, already a teenager, lying outside a burning building in soot-stained clothes, remembering nothing, not even her name. He showed her the necklace she had on, the one that named her: Abby. Sam brought her to live in his cave-palace, where he gives her everything she needs. He loves her. He protects her from the world outside, from everyone who wants to hurt them, like the denizens of Circle Nine, Dante’s deepest circle of hell. But even in a charmed, brand-new life like Abby’s, change will come. Sam falls ill. A new girl comes to stay, and Abby begins to question Sam’s devotion. With doubt comes emotional turmoil, changes in perception, and glimpses of her past identity. In this courageous psychological thriller, Abby tells the story of living her new life and discovering her old one, while grappling with an ever-changing reality.
Hardcover, 272 pages
Expected publication: September 13th 2011 by Candlewick Press (MA) 



(My Thoughts)     5  STARS!!!!!
This is not an easy review for me. When a story deals with abusive relationships, I normally don't read them. Books with sexual abuse or drug addiction usually a hard read for me. But this book was on my new release list, so I said I'd give it try. I'm so glad I did. I really did fall in love with the story between Sam and Abby. I would have liked to have known more of what happened to Sam, seen more of a resolution for him. Sam really grabbed a hold of my heart and I couldn't let him go. The choices he made took him down a road he could never return from, but I still thought of him as messed-up little boy that I wanted to love and fix. I was, however, happy to see that Abby’s terrifying experience made her a better person from where she first started in this story. Anne Heltzel has an amazing way of writing about a subject I have a difficult hard time reading about. This is a very serious and dramatic situation between Sam and Abby, so be ready with the tissue box. I will definitely be reading more of Anne Heltzel’s books. Circle Nine is an amazing story and a definite must read!!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.