The Girl of Fire and Thorns ( Fire and Thorns #1) by Rae Carson

The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1)

The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns #1)


Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness.

Elisa is the chosen one.

But she is also the younger of two princesses, the one who has never done anything remarkable. She can’t see how she ever will.

Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs the chosen one, not a failure of a princess.

And he’s not the only one who seeks her. Savage enemies seething with dark magic are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could be his people’s savior. And he looks at her in a way that no man has ever looked at her before. Soon it is not just her life, but her very heart that is at stake.

Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn’t die young.

Most of the chosen do.
 
Hardcover, 299 pages
Expected publication: September 20th 2011 by Greenwillow/HarperCollins
 
 
 
(My Thoughts)     5  STARS!!!!!
 
This review is going to be so hard to not give any spoilers! When a book is this beautiful, and the characters and storyline are so uniquely amazing, I just want to share it.

 I’ve read a lot of books that have broken my heart, but The Girl of Fire and Thorns left me literally torn and brokenhearted. Rea Carson ripped my heart out of my chest, tore it to pieces, and didn't put it back together. Rea Carson is an astonishingly gifted writer, and oh, you can believe I will be waiting eagerly with hopes of her mending my heart in the next book in the Fire and Thorns series. It’s just that awesome.

I loved Elisa. The way her character grows from a sixteen-year-old girl, who only cares about how much food she eats, to a beautiful, strong, leader, and independent women in mind, body, and spirit—It’s definitely true that Elisa's life suffering does build character. Her father weds her to a king who doesn't love her, and what she has to endure with being king Alejandro's wife is more than I could take. I wanted to do bodying damage to this guy. And when Elisa meets Humberto (truly fell in love with him) a gorgeous guy who is courageous, protective, and loves Elisa, Humberto wants Elisa for who she is as a person, and not because she is the bearer of the Godstone. Just when Humberto figures out a way that they can end Elisa's marriage to the king and be together, the unforgivable happens. I thought I was misreading Rea Carson words. There was no way this could be happening, and I will leave you with that cliffhanger. There is another character that I loved, Lord Hector. He’s the king's personal guard. Hector is one who doesn't trust easily. I got a feeling about him and Elisa, but I will have to wait and see how this comes together in the next book. I highly recommend The Girl of Fire and Thorns as a must read, this book is filled with action, romance, and heartbreak, just have the Kleenex ready .



1 comment: