Tris & Izzie by Mette Ivie Harrison

Tris & Izzie

Tris & Izzie


A modern retelling of the German fairytale "Tristan and Isolde", Tris and Izzie is about a young witch named Izzie who is dating Mark King, the captain of the basketball team and thinks her life is going swimmingly well. Until -- she makes a love potion for her best friend Brangane and then ends up taking it herself accidentally, and falling in love with Tristan, the new guy at school.
Hardcover, 272 pages
Expected publication: October 11th 2011 by EgmontUSA 



(MY THOUGHTS)   1 STAR
Tris & Izzie has a beautiful cover. I have to say that's what pulled me in to read this book. I'm not familiar with the German fairytale of Tristan and Isolde, but what I did find out about it was that it's close to the story of Lancelot and Guenevere, but with a love potion. Tris & Izzie is a good read, but for me, the storyline is written too young. I would recommend this book for younger YA (12, 13, and 14) The older teens will probably find it too gushing and ridiculous to take serously. I know I did. I found myself laughing and rolling my eyes, but that's not to say that the younger teens might find Tris & Izzie's story an interesting one. I'm just too old for this kind of flowery romance lol!

Izzie's mother has hid Izzie from Gurmum, a serpent that killed Izzie's father, because he wants Izzie's magic. Tristan has come to help Izzie fight and save the people of Curvenal from the serpent Gurmum. Tristan is Izzie's shiny knight in armor to stand by her. Izzie had no problem with self-confidence and her sexually, that's for darn sure. I found myself agreeing with Branna who was suppose to be Izzie's best friend (could have fooled me) that Izzie is a selfish, self-centered little witch ( no punt intend their lol).

I think this book would've been more believable if it was done in a fantasy setting instead of a contemporary. I recommend Tris & Izzie to younger YA readers, and for those who are older that like overly dramatic, somewhat cliche' romance.

1 comment: