Shattered Dreams (Midnight Dragonfly #1) by Ellie James

Shattered Dreams

   Shattered Dreams (Midnight Dragonfly #1)

                                                                    by

Sixteen-year-old Trinity Monsour wants nothing more than to live a normal life. But that isn’t as easy as it seems. Trinity is different. She is special. She sees visions, and for those she’s seen, it’s already too late.
Trinity arrives on her aunt’s doorstep in New Orleans with virtually no knowledge of her mysterious heritage. She begins settling into life at a new school and even starts making friends. But all too quickly her dreams accelerate; twisted, terrifying visions of a girl locked in a dark room. And when the head cheerleader, Jessica, goes missing, Trinity knows she has no choice but to step forward with what she’s seen.
But people believe that Trinity has information about Jessica’s disappearance not because of a dream, but because she is involved. She is kind-of dating Jessica’s ex-boyfriend, Chase, and Jessica did pull a nasty prank on Trinity. Revenge seems like the likeliest scenario.
Nothing prepares Trinity for the dark odyssey that ensues while searching for Jessica, including the surprising romance she finds with Chase, or the shocking truths she learns, not just about the girl who has gone missing, but the past that has been hidden from her.
 
Paperback, 352 pages
Expected publication: December 6th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin
 
 
 
 
 (MY THOUGHTS)     4   HEARTS!!!!
Shattered Dreams drove me crazy. I do believe that that was Ellie James’ intentions, and she succeeded in this twisted storyline. I feel like I just got off the for insane people roller coaster ride. I don't know if I love this book or need a bottle of Xanax. I guess I will go with love because it did make me feel every one of my emotions. Even though most were frustrating. By the time I finished Shattered Dreams and understood the whole story, I can say yes I like this book. But boy, in the middle of reading this story I felt like locking the main character up and throwing away the key. So I have to hand it to Ellie James, I feel like I know how Trinity was feeling and what Ellis James was wanting me to understand about Trinity in this storyline and she definitely achieved it with me.

Trinity is sixteen, and her grandmother has died, so she goes to live with her aunt Sara in New Orleans. This is her first time going to public high school as her grandmother home schooled Trinity in order to protect her from people finding out about her visions. It’s not until she goes to live with her aunt that she starts to learn who her mom and dad were, and that she inherited her mom's gift of vision. When Jessica goes missing, she’s not sure if she should help. She’s been told to hide her gift.  Chase is the gorgeous blue eyed quarterback that she’s fallen for, but she keeps pushing him away. She feels like once he finds out about her visions, she will become a freak to him and break her heart. Trinity drove me crazy with hot and cold feelings for Chase, and I had a hard time understanding her reasoning when Chase already knew a little about her visions. I think their relationship could have been done better. Tell you the truth, I like Dylan’s character a lot more than Chase I would have liked to seen Trinity end up with Dylan, who already knew everything and his character had more strength to me even if he didn’t come into the story until halfway through.

I would recommend Shattered Dreams as a must read. I will say you need to definitely put yourself in Trinity’s place to understand how she’s been raised and where she’s coming from. Which I believe Ellie James accomplished this for me. I know I felt as crazy as Trinity.

3 comments:

  1. Visions, New Orleans, and an oustanding cover, I'm sold! This one is going on my list. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I hadn't heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather, Shattered Dreams will make you a little crazy , but I like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful cover! Interesting and I am all for being driven crazy as long as it is in a good way.

    ReplyDelete