Dark Companion by Marta Acosta


Dark Companion

                  Dark Companion

                                                     by

When foster teen Jane Williams is invited to attend elite Birch Grove Academy for Girls and escape her violent urban neighborhood, she thinks the offer is too good to be true. She's even offered her own living quarters, the groundskeeper's cottage in the center of the birch grove.

Something's not quite right about the school -- or is it Jane? She thinks she sees things in the birch grove at night. She's also beginning to suspect that the elegant headmistress and her sons are hiding secrets. Lucky is the gorgeous, golden son who is especially attentive to Jane, and Jack is the sardonic puzzling brother.

The school with its talented teachers and bright students is a dream for a science and math geek like Jane. She also loves her new friends, including hilarious poetry-spouting rich girl, Mary Violet. But the longer Jane stays at Birch Grove, the more questions she has about the disappearance of another scholarship girl and a missing faculty member.

Jane discovers one secret about Birch Grove, which only leads to more mysteries. What is she willing to sacrifice in order to stay at this school...and be bound to Birch Grove forever?

Expected publication: July 3rd 2012 by Tor/Macmillan 


(MY THOUGHTS)
  The Dark Companion cover is beautiful. It’s what first grabbed me. But after reading the first charter, I knew Dark Companion was going to be an awesome read. Let me start with the terrific characters—and there're plenty of them. My favorites are: Jane, who’s the main character and is as tough as they come, Jack, he's kind of the bad boy who's hilarious, Lucian (Lucky) who's Jack's jerk of a brother (I wanted to give him a piece of my mind) and then Mary Violet, she’s Jane's loads of fun new best friend. All the characters are wonderful and Marta Acosta amazed me with the way she wrote them and this paranormal storyline. I could completely believe Acosta’s mythology on how these paranormal's came into insistence. It sent eerie chills up my spine. I give high praise to Marta Acosta for being an awesome author who has an amazing talent as a writer to make fiction novel believable.

Jane is sixteen and an orphan. She lost her parents when she was six. After living in a group home, Jane has finally worked her way out of that hellhole. Birch Grove Academy offers Jane a full scholarship. Jane has everything the head master, Mrs. Radcliffe, is looking for: smart, healthy, and no living relatives. Jane has had a hard cruel life, and she can't believe that she finally getting her chance. But she’ll find out nothing is free. Mrs. Radcliffe has alterative motives. Head Master Radcliffe needs a companion for her gorgeous son, Lucian (Lucky). Companion has a whole other meaning at this private school, and when Lucian starts to show Jane some attention, it's not hard for Jane to fall for him. Jane spent the last ten years trying to get out the group home in Hellsdale just to discover she’s traded one hell for another. But is she willing to pay the price of becoming a Companion just for the illusion of a love she’s longed for her whole life?

Jack is Lucian's older, adopted brother. Jack knows his adopted family’s dark secrets. He also annoys Jane to no end. Their relationship is hilarious and intense. Jack, even though he's jokester, is adorable, because behind all that slackerness, there’s a little bit of a bad boy. He’s also in a band instead of college. And it's who he is underneath that had me loving him, but Jack keeps all this pretty well hidden from Jane. Jane’s hungry to feel love and to be loved. But is she so hungry for it that she's blinded, and will accept one gorgeous guy's sadistic love over another who truly loves her with all his heart?

Dark Companion gave me the creeps at how believable the storyline was. But as chillingly creepy as it was, it's also beautiful, and one I will love forever. I highly recommend Dark Companion as a must read.




        Author Website | Goodreads | buy: Amazon | buy: Barnes & Noble


   
                                           


                                   

6 comments:

  1. I love the cover too! It really is beautiful. I'll be honest though, after being drawn in by the cover on GoodReads a while ago I read the description and left. Not sure why, but it just doesn't grab my interest.

    After reading your review though, I think I'll havve to give it a go when it comes out in July. Looove chilling/creepy books. And I can't resist a joking bad boy. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just skimmed your review ..since i will be reading and reviewing it in June..but i am so glad you liked this. I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I love this book, It's definitely a dark read, I also love Jane and Jack and it has a beautiful ending! :)

      Delete
  3. I really wanna check this book out! I love the cover, but for me I think the font for the title just looks weird lol and everytime I look at it bugs me but, I still wanna read it lol

    your newest follower,
    Kristin
    youngadultbookhaven.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Romance, Beautiful Cover, Sort of Creepy, and Realistic! Yeah I have to read this soon, see I told you I would start listening more :D Great Review Debbie, I'm really glad you enjoyed Dark Companion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keeping my eyes peeled for thsi book :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.