Drain You by M.Beth Bloom

Drain You


                       Drain You

                           by
 
Every night I'd lie there in bed and look out at the hills behind our house, listening. I knew there'd be consequences.

Actions meant reactions. Sunrises meant sunsets. My fear was too permanent, lasting longer than eyeliner, something I wore every day and didn't wash off.

Quinlan Lacey's life is a red carpet of weird fashions, hip bands, random parties, and chilling by the pool with her on-and-off BFF Libby. There's also her boring job (minimum wage), a crushed-out coworker (way too interested), her summer plans (nada), and her parents (totally clueless). Then one night she meets gorgeous James, and Quinn's whole world turns crazy, Technicolor, 3-D, fireworks, whatever.

But with good comes bad and unfortunately, Quinn's new romance brings with it some majorly evil baggage. Now, to make things right, she has to do a lot of things wrong (breaking and entering, kidnapping, lying, you name it).

There's normal, and then there's paranormal, and neither are Quinlan's cup of Diet Coke. Staying sane, cool, in love, and alive isn't so easy breezy.

Paperback, 400 pages
Expected publication: July 24th 2012 by HarperTeen



(MY THOUGHTS)
 Drain You is really a different kind of book than I normally read. But I fell in love it. M. Beth Bloom’s writing style has a deep, dark and eerie feel to it. There's no doubt Drain You is unique and so are its characters. I had the feeling while reading this novel that Bloom wanted me to dislike her main character, Quinn, but at the same time wanted me to fall in love with her. And I did fall in love. Yes, I wanted to slap her for being a selfish, self-centered little brat, but I also understood her. This is definitely a very different kind of paranormal romance. Bloom plays no games with her dark, sadistic storyline, or the dark characters. And I have to say that I love it. I also loved James, who is Quinn’s vampire boyfriend. James pulls no punches in what he is and what he has to do to live. I loved this totally opposite of Edward. The only thing that did disappoint me was the ending. I felt like it was unfinished—too many questions left unanswered. But I can live with this if there's going to be a sequel. That's how much I did love this book.

Quinn is a pretty messed up girl who thinks the universe centers around her. Though she hates herself for being like this, she just can't seem to change. Even when she tries to help her best friend Libby, she’s only thinking about herself— and not how other people are going to get hurt by her actions—even die because of her selfishness.

I love Quinn and James’s intimate dark romance, but I kept thinking even a dark, sadistic vampire like James has his hands full with a girl like Quinn. I also loved James’s human brothers Whit and Morgan. No, there was no love triangle going on with Quinn. Morgan, who is Quinn's co-worker, has feelings for Quinn and was trying to have a relationship with her, but this just left him open for Quinn to easily use him, which Morgan understood this about Quinn. This is why I liked Morgan, he understood this about Quinn and he is a strong, self-assured person and accepted Quinn for who she was. Whit was strong, too, but I felt like he just couldn't handle his feelings for Quinn, and I’m going to have to wait for the second book to really figure his and Quinn’s relationship out.

Drain You is a very dark, eerie, and wicked novel, and I think you have to really open your mind to read this one to see who the characters are. Dig deeper than just the surface. I love this sinister and wicked side of the paranormal. I recommend as a dark, dark read.



                       Goodreads | buy: Amazon | buy: Barnes & Noble






 

7 comments:

  1. This one hasn't caught much of my attention until now. However, I enjoy novels with a dark feel in their story lines, so I might have to check this one out, after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marla, It's definitely no cute fairytale! :) Quinn is messed up girl, but I still love her character. I also really love James too! Hope you enjoy it too!

      Delete
  2. Intimate dark romance? I'm sold
    Thanks for review Debbie
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandi, I can't wait to see your review! alot of people are not liking it, but I really love it. Like you I love reading on the darkside lol!

      Delete
  3. I like that this book is "darker" (I'm all for that), but I hope Quinn's character doesn't end up bugging me! haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber, I understood Quinn. She would like to be better person, but she kind of a weak,naive girl :)

      Delete
    2. At least I now know what to expect, so that's good! I do want still want to read this one :-)

      Delete