Skylark (Skylark #1) by Meagan Spooner

Skylark (The Skylark Trilogy #1)


              Skylark (Skylark #1)

                                                by
 
 Sixteen year-old Lark Ainsley has never seen the sky.

Her world ends at the edge of the vast domed barrier of energy enclosing all that’s left of humanity. For two hundred years the city has sustained this barrier by harvesting its children's innate magical energy when they reach adolescence. When it’s Lark’s turn to be harvested, she finds herself trapped in a nightmarish web of experiments and learns she is something out of legend itself: a Renewable, able to regenerate her own power after it’s been stripped.

Forced to flee the only home she knows to avoid life as a human battery, Lark must fight her way through the terrible wilderness beyond the edge of the world. With the city’s clockwork creations close on her heels and a strange wild boy stalking her in the countryside, she must move quickly if she is to have any hope of survival. She’s heard the stories that somewhere to the west are others like her, hidden in secret – but can she stay alive long enough to find them?

Hardcover, 344 pages
Expected publication: August 1st 2012 by Carolrhoda Lab



(MY THOUGHTS)
  Skylark is absolutely amazing. Meagan Spooner blew me away with this dystopian world that had just a touch of steampunk. Spooner has written an incredible story with fantastic characters. The first part of this book gave me wonderful, in-depth description and foundation of the world that I didn't come to really a appreciate until the end of this beautiful novel. Then I could look back over the whole of this story, and say that it was totally fantastic. Another great thing Spooner did with this amazing storyline is a sneak attack. I'm reading along and saying to myself, Okay, I see where this is going, and it's like she’s waiting for me as a reader to think I have it figured out, and then her attack comes and she just totally blew me away with the last of the story. And while I’m crying and screaming I'm saying, Thank you, Meagan Spooner, that was absolutely so amazingly beautiful, that I definitely didn't see this coming. So watch out for Spooner’s sneak attack. Needless for me to say, I can't wait for the sequel.

Lark is sixteen, and it's finally her time to be harvested. This is the way the leader of the city brings their children into adulthood—by taking their magical energy/power from them that will power the city, and the protected wall that encircles it. But there’s something special about Lark, and the city leader has bigger plans for her. It's just Lark has no intentions of becoming a human power resource for the rest of her life. Lark hears a rumor that there’s more people like her that has escaped from the city and lives outside the wall in the wild. Lark also has heard all her life of rumors about what lives outside the wall, but she has no other choice. It's the only safe place for her now, to take her chances outside the wall to find the others like her in the wild.

Lark is on her own outside and she knows she’s probably not going to live long enough to find the others in Iron Wood. With no food or water and the rumors being true of what lives outside the wall, Lark is done for, until she meets Oren. Oren hasn't been around any other humans, and being with Lark is all new for him, so he agrees to help Lark find Iron Wood. Oren and Lark has a heart-melting relationship. I fell in love with Oren, he became the love of my heart in this beautiful relationship with Lark.

Skylark is an amazing dystopia full of surprise with a beautiful story about a girl who’s never seen the sky and a beautiful boy who lives in the wild. I highly recommend Skylark as a awesome read.


         Author Website | Goodreads | buy: Amazon | buy: Barnes & Noble

 
     
 

4 comments:

  1. I'm on a dystopian kick right now but it sounds SO good and I really really really want to read it so bad but my TBR list is about the size of Mount Everest! -.- It sounds like a great story and so good if it evoked that much emotion from you! :)

    Eileen @ ***Singing and Reading in the Rain***

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love dystopians too! My TBR pile is HUGE lol!, but Eileen I am so glad I read this book! I love it! You should really try to read Skylark :) I know you'll be glad you did :)

      Delete
  2. This is the one book that eluded me at BEA -- I cant wait to read it. Thanks for the great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed the review Jan! Hope you also enjoy Skylark as much as I did! :)

      Delete