Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass #1) by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)

                   Throne of Glass 

               (Throne of Glass #1)

                                                by
 
After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.

Her opponents are men—thieves and assassins and warriors from across the empire, each sponsored by a member of the kings council. If she beats her opponents in a series of eliminations, she’ll serve the kingdom for three years and then be granted her freedom.

Celaena finds her training sessions with the captain of the guard, Westfall, challenging and exhilirating. But she’s bored stiff by court life. Things get a little more interesting when the prince starts to show interest in her... but it’s the gruff Captain Westfall who seems to understand her best.

Then one of the other contestants turns up dead... quickly followed by another. Can Celaena figure out who the killer is before she becomes a victim? As the young assassin investigates, her search leads her to discover a greater destiny than she could possibly have imagined.

Hardcover, 416 pages
Expected publication: August 7th 2012 by Bloomsbury USA Children's




(MY THOUGHTS)
  
 She brought her mouth close to his ear. "My name is Celaena Sardothien," she whispered. "But it makes no difference if my name's Celaena or Lillian or Bitch, because I'd still beat you, no matter what you call me.”

 
I had to start off my review of Throne of Glass with this awesome teaser! While I read this, I was screaming, "Hell yeah, you go, girl". Kick that sonofabitch's butt! Well that's not actually the words I used. (toned them down a little for review) Sarah J. Maas took me into the most awesome world with assassins, dark magic, and a heart-touching romance. I love this girl assassin. Celaena loves being a lady with her pretty dresses while she’s thinking about taking you out of this world. Maas gave me a beautiful, kick-ass heroine in Celaena's character.. But for the romance, I'm still wondering where Maas is going to go with it. Either way is fine with me, because I love all these swoon-worthy guys! The world-building and storyline is fantastic, too. The only problem I have is: I want the sequel now!

Celaena is eighteen, and she is Adarlan's most feared notorious assassin. But after she is betrayed, the King of Adarlan has her enslaved to work in the salt mines of Endoveier…which will usually kill you in two months. Celaena has been in the salt mines for one year when the prince of Adarlan, Dorian, offers her a chance to have her freedom back. All she has to do is duel twenty-three competitors and win, and if she wins she will become the king's personal champion, and after four years of service, she will have her freedom. Celaena jumps at the prince's offer—twenty-three guys to fight, this is nothing for her as she is the most deadliest assassin, but she never thought she would meet her destiny at the glass palace of Adarlan—a destiny where she will have to fight demonic dark magic that is enslaving and killing the people of this land.

The romance with Celaena is still one I haven't figure out yet. There is Prince Dorian, Chaol, who's the captain of the guard, and I even thought there could be something with one of the competitors, but I think it’s safe to rule him out, I think. I’m going to leave the romance alone for now, just going to have to wait for the sequel. Plus, I don't want to spoil this for you. I will tell you that I love what’s going on with Celaena and these beautiful guys. I also love when the romance has a lot of fun along with the serious stuff.

Throne of Glass is an awesome high fantasy, and with Sarah J. Maas showing me all that’s going on in this fantastic, dark world, and the background of all the characters in this first novel, I’m ready to dive into the sequel. There’s also four e-novellas. I can’t wait to read these too while I'm waiting on the second novel in the Throne of Glass series. I highly recommend Throne of Glass as a kick-ass read.



         Author Website | Goodreads | buy: Amazon | buy: Barnes & Noble 


    
 

8 comments:

  1. I just finished this last night. It was so amazing! I absolutely loved the teaser you put up. It was probably my favorite line in the whole book! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jesse, Yep! that is a fantastic line! I stood up and did the "power to women dance" lol! I love it! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. I do love me some great high fantasy! In fact, it's my favorite. I'll have to check this one out. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Heather, I'm pretty sure you'll love this one! I know I did lol!

      Delete
  3. I haven't even read this yet, and I'm already in love with it! Wonderful review! (I better get started!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debz I love this book! Hope you enjoy it too! :) Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  4. My sister got this for Christmas and I'm itching to steal it from her (she won't let me until she's read it) Great review, really can't wait for it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pretty sure you'll love this book, Maira. It was an awesome read. Thank you for stopping by! :)

      Delete